Sugar is the modern day heroin. There is no doubt about it in my mind. I’m not just talking about the sugar you add to your tea or coffee either. I am talking about processed foods and what I like to call “engineered” food. Well the engineers that I am referring to are the ones that specifically engineer food that you buy in restaurants, fast food places and grocery store shelves to be physically addicting.
When I start feeling like my eating habits are getting a bit out of control I revert back to low carb food for a while. It makes me feel better physically and I always lose weight. The first three days are a difficult adjustment though. It takes that long for my body to start working with me. That brings me to this recipe. This is my secret to surviving those first three days.
I know what you’re going to say. But it’s pasta. Pasta is literally carbs, rights?!? Well, yeah technically speaking. For this I use Dreamfields low carb pasta. This pasta is worth it’s weight in gold. I don’t know how it works but it does. It also has the same consistency of traditional pasta. I cook the pasta for 8 minutes instead of the 10 that the package recommends. I would suggest testing it at the 8 minute mark to see if it’s where you like it.
Make this ahead of time and just use a little at a time. I never have it more than once a day and I always pair it with an equal amount of protein. I also stick to servings that are around 1/2 cup. I use this to help me get through that craving for carbs with meals that would usually be paired with a potato or rice or a piece of bread.
- 1/2 box of Dreamfields low carb Rotini (I used 1/2 of a 13.25oz box)
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced onion
- 2 Tablespoon chopped tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. When it’s done immediately remove it from the water, drain well and put aside in a mixing bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking mix together the mayo, sour cream and vinegar. Mix well.
- Get your vegetables chopped and prepped.
- Combine all the ingredients, add salt and pepper according to taste.