We love Mexican flavors in our home. In fact it’s really difficult to mess up a Mexcian dish.
Taquitos are simply spiced protein in a rolled up corn tortilla. Typically they are fried but I bake mine. With Mexcian food, the condiments are almost as important as the dish itself. You need your favorite salsa, sour cream, avocado, lettuce, fresh tomato, onions… it all comes together based on those condiments. Over time I’ll be adding many Mexican inspired dishes to this blog.
When making these keep a few things in mind. Always use corn tortillas and fresh is best. If you cannot get them fresh (as in still warm) then warm them before rolling. The way we do this is take a non stick pan and lightly coat with olive oil. Even some non stick spray will work. Warm the pan over medium heat and add one tortilla at a time. Then add a layer of cheese (see photo below). You are only going to warm this quickly. It only takes about 30 seconds or when the cheese starts to melt. Carefully remove it and add another one quickly. As you do this you should have just enough time to add the filling, give it a tight roll and add it to the baking pan.
Although this recipe calls for them to be baked, you can certainly add some oil to a non stick pan and give them a light fry all around. Corn tortilla are delicious when fried so you won’t be hurting anything here. If you bake them, make sure to brush the tops with some oil (any kind is fine), it helps to get some browning action going.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese
- 1 small can of chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Queso Fresco cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (we used a Mexican blend)
- Corn tortillas (at least 6″ in size)
- 2 cups chopped chicken (approx 4 boneless, skinless breasts)
- To a large pan, add the milk, cream cheese, spices and green chiles. Heat over low until everything can be whisked together to make a smooth sauce, approx 7 minutes.
- Add chicken and mix well
- Assemble in the following order:
- Tortilla, Shredded cheese, 1 heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture, queso fresco sprinkled last
- Roll each tortilla as tight as you can and place seam side down in a baking pan. Make sure you add some non stick spray to the pan first.
- Brush with oil and place the pan in a preheated 400 degree oven for approx 20 minutes.