This is vegetarian but it’s not vegan. It’s delicious but not healthy. And no, you won’t find a marshmallow anywhere. This is one of those dishes that I only make once a year. It’s so decadent that there is no way I can justify making this on a regular dinner day. This recipe calls for fresh nutmeg so while you can certainly use the stuff that’s already ground, it is worth getting whole nutmeg for your recipes. Just use a micro grader. It’s delicious and makes a big difference.
We cook our casseroles in polish pottery which rarely requires non stick spray so if you are using anything other than this kind of stoneware, give it a quick spray with your favorite non stick stuff.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled, cut into cubes and boiled until just tender
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (for the topping)
- 1/3 cup flour (for the topping)
- 1/3 cup melted butter (for the topping)
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans (for the topping)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl add the cooked sweet potatoes along with half and half, eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Mash to your desired consistency. You can beat with a mixer for a smooth texture or leave lumpy if you like something to dig your fork into.
- Spread evenly in a baking dish and put aside
- In a separate bowl add the pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour and 1/3 cup melted butter. Mix until everything is just incorporated.
- Spread the topping mixture evenly on top of the waiting sweet potato mixture
- Cook until the sides are bubbly, approx 45 minutes.