Brown butter cream cheese frosting may be a little more involved than making your typical butter cream but it’s well worth the effort. We use this in conjunction with our brown butter pumpkin cake recipe which is to die for.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Using a sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Continue cooking while occassionally swirling until it begins to brown. This takes 4-5 minutes. Once you see a nice nutty brown layer then immediately remove it from the heat.
- Pour into a small bowl and let stand until the solids settle at the bottom of the bowl, another 4-5 minutes. Preferably use a bowl that narrows at the bottom rather than a flat bottom bowl.
- Carefully transfer the bowl to the freezer and chill until the butter turns opaque on top and is just firm, about 18 minutes.
- Using a spoon, carefully scrape the butter from bowl, leaving the browned solids at the bottom; you should discard the solids.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light in color, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.